Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Free-Time

Today was my first day back to school after cross country had ended on Saturday. We had a few potentials that could have went to States in Maui, but nobody qualified. I realized today that my free-time is something that I cherish and I haven't had a lot of it lately. So today I left work and drove up to this trail on top of a mountain in Hawaii and ran the loop about 1.5 times. It's called Aeia Loop Trail and it's 4.5 miles long. I only saw one other person on the trail and I saw a wild pig (they're very common here). The weather was nice and cool and I just enjoyed my run in the mud. I say mud because no matter what day you go it is muddy because it rains at least once every other day up there.

At one point towards the end I was running along a portion of trail that drops off several hundred feet to my left and it's straight up on my right and I am running through what looks to me a rain forest (I think it is technically). I just let out a nice loud roar. The whole experience felt very animalistic, that is, running, covered in sweat and mud, and being in the wilderness. If you haven't already noticed I prefer trails over anything. My old teammates can attest to that. I have taken them on some prickly runs, if you know what I mean. You will be hearing more about this trail since I will be leaving straight from work and heading that direction to pick up my girlfriend up at work at 6pm. I have also decided to do my shorter morning runs in the morning and my main runs in the afternoon/evening since I do not have to coach. This all equates to more sleep and I'm always down for that.

Training:
Monday:
Off- I still felt weird even after taking the day off from work. Better safe than sorry.

Tuesday:
Duration: 01hr 09min 04sec
Distance: 6.75 miles
Comments: Felt good. Started a bit fast, but that was because I was excited to be running in Aeia at this time of day on a school day. Pace evened out and felt great.

No comments: