Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I Wish Arthur Was Around

I've been frustrated the past couple of days beginning with this weekends "Whoops!" long run. My average pace has been a bit pathetic. I've been doing most of my runs around 8-9min pace and I'm really sore after yesterday's hilly run. I knew things where going to be slow, but come on!

I guess there are a couple of factors:

1)The long run took more out of me than I though it would.

2) This is my second week of training since May 2007.

3) I have a job.

4) I run at strange hours of the day.

I really would like to hear from some of you bloggers out there. Lydiardites, was the beginning slow and tough for you guys? I'm going to go read the online speech of Lydiard that I downloaded and watch a scary movie with my girlfriend before bed. Happy Halloween!

Training:
Wednesday:
Duration: 00hr 30min 53 sec
Distance: ?
Comments: Had a bunch of stuff to do after work and only had 30 minutes before it was time to drive Kristine home from work. Got home and cooked dinner. Legs were super sore and the pace was slow to match. Looking forward to the easy run tomorrow morning and looking to get a longer run in tomorrow afternoon.

3 comments:

by7 said...

I also made stop/go many times in my running career ...
the first 2 months after a come-back was barely just being able to move the feet day after day and avoid getting injured. Later you will feel like "new".
I recommend you use a HRM and stick to 70/75% of your HRmax for a while. it is of great help to limit your effort in those days where you would feel like pushing more than usual (normally the day after you have to go back to reality)
NOTE: but how did it come your 1h18' HM PB ? if you could run 32' in 10k, HM would be easily swallowed in 1h13 or less !!

Mike said...

When I started following Lydiard's schedule I jumped from 60 or so a week to 100 for several weeks. In retrospect it was a bit too much, too soon, but I survived it by going slow when I needed to. I think frequency is key here, and your schedule makes that tough. I was able to get up early and pretty much block out the same two hours of every day for running. Sometimes I'd only get an hour in, usually it was around 90 minutes and often it went the full 2 hours. Sundays were the exception with 22 miles scheduled (like Arthur's old schedules), and it really was a struggle many weeks.

What I can say is that it did get easier, and I ran one of my best 10K's ever after 9 weeks of just this general running.

My advice would be to worry more about running as slowly as you need to in order to get the miles in. When it feels good, speed up. Mystery Coach often advises keeping the pace at a point where you feel you could repeat the same run (miles and pace) the next day. I think this is a good rule of thumb for base building.

Good luck.

Hubitron said...

Justin, I like the blog so far. Those are some smoking PR's you've got there.

Yeah, the first couple months were a little tough mentally, but I eventually got into a groove with things. Something that helped me was that I worked my runs into my commute to work. It was much easier to get myself out the door when I had a train to catch.

I did my big buildup during the winter, and running on the snow slowed me down quite a bit, which was probably a big benefit in the long term.

One day driving each week to bring home/deposit clothing for the next week made the experience less smelly for my co-workers.

Make sure you get lots of rest though. That was my mistake. After 6 months, I really crashed and burned.