Monday, October 29, 2007

Whoops!

Yesterday was a long run day and I have been eying up this big loop around my house. I just moved to Hawaii in July and I do not know all the distances around my house. That is why you usually see "Distance: ?" in the training section. At this stage I am more concerned about time on my feet. So, with my girlfriend Kristine riding her bike to keep me company we headed out for what would be a day for of mistakes.

Mistake #1: I left the house at 10:30am. Usually it is pretty hot out even though it has been cooling off a bit. It was 83 degrees out. I knew it was going to be hot so I took two water bottles with Gatorade in them, a banana, and an extra bottle of water to drink/dump on my head.

Mistake #2: My pace was slow, but my effort was pretty high. I'd say I ran the first 3/4's at 1/2 effort. I just wanted to stay in a rhythm. Also, I must admit, anything over 8 minute pace is just too slow for me. So, effort was another mistake. Lydiard would have been upset with me.

Mistake #3: I went the wrong direction. I live in the hot flats of Ewa Beach on Oahu. It's more similar to Arizona than Hawaii. It is also always windy; thank you trade winds! Well, I chose the direction with the most amount of of head wind. At one point about halfway through Kristine was drafting me instead of me drafting her. She underestimated what she was getting herself into. Sorry, but I always forget to explain ALL of the details!

Mistake#4: When I was finished I drank a good amount of water, ate, stretched, massaged my legs, and took a nap. Oh did I not drink enough water. Several hours later my mild headache turned into a migraine that left me numb. I thought I was going to puke and my head was going to explode all at the same time.

I had to call in sick today. Not something I wanted to do, but with everyone around me getting sick or is sick, I don't want to catch a cold. As I write this I still feel a bit funny. Thanks dehydration! Not sure if I will go for an easy run later or not.

Training:
Sunday:
Duration: 01hr 45min 00sec
Distance: 15miles
Comment: Just read above. I averaged 9:36 pace if I did the math correct (sorry, but I'm still a bit fuzzy). Nothing spectacular. Actually, it's a bit embarrassing to tell you the truth. There is still next weeks long run to redeem myself.

No comments: