Thursday, November 1, 2007

Person Records Clarification

Today I read a comment from a reader that said based on my 10k pr that my half-marathon should be faster and I agree. Let me explain some of my pr's because some of them aren't at full effort. So here it goes.

400m- 56.2-Ran this for a workout after a 3,200m in high school (graduated 2002).

800m-1:57.9-Ran this as the lead-off leg of the 4x800m IC4A indoor championships sophomore year of college (2004). I ran all out.

1,500m- 4:03-Ran this after a higher mileage week as a tune-up for a steeple chase during my 5th year (2007). I ran all out.

1,600m-4:35- Ran this going out for a 3k outdoor sophomore year (2004). I died pretty bad and ran 8:53

3,000m-8:35- Ran this at the end of a season that I started with a 9:26 3k and a 16:22 5k (I was injured for a year and was just getting back to it.). This was senior year (2006).

3,000m Steeple- 9:09- Ran this at Penn Relays (2006). It was a continuation of an excellent season after being injured for a year. I ended up winning my conference a few days later in this event. First time in school history.

5,000m-14:42-This was my last collegiate race (2007). I didn't run so hot the day prior (3k steeple) so this was my farewell race. I was struggling with breathing issues for a month prior and in my 3k steeple so I took a Claritin and ran. I finally could breath. I missed our 8 year school record by a 1/2 second. This was a 16 second pr from my 14:58 during the indoor season and a vindication for all of my hard training that I put in over the winter.

10,000m-32:17- I ran 32:22? freshman year to qualify for Jr. nationals, but hadn't really run the event since that race. So I decided to run this one as a workout at an outdoor meet this past season (2007). I did the first 5k as tempo (16:28) and then tried a progression run for the last 5k. I ended up coming back in 15:48 for my last 5k. I felt awesome the whole time and didn't have to go into the reserve to much at all!

10miler- 55:3x?- I ran this after not running two weeks since my last race (the 14:42 5k). It was the last week of school before graduation and all the seniors go out to the bars and party it up. My coach has put together and made jerseys for our alumni team and he proudly gave me my jersey. I ran in it the day after graduation. Honestly, I was just out there to win some money. I went out in 5:03 and then it was a death march for 7-8 miles, but I hung tough. I ended up getting 3rd place and winning $50. I was pleased but sore for weeks.

Half-Marathon- 1:18- When I was studying abroad in Spain, the director of my program was an avid runner at the age of 53. He knew I was a runner and called me up one Saturday evening telling me he entered me and himself in a half-marathon in a small town about 45 minutes from where we lived. I said sure, but then immediately question my fitness. You see, the reason why I went to Spain was because I had a year long lower back injured that prevented me from running. Coach Pete and I decided that I would red-shirt and stay a 5th year. In the year I didn't run I cycled a ton (avg. aprox. 30 miles a day). I started to run a bit in Spain before I did this 100 mile pilgrimage called El Camino de Santiago for a class. We completed this task that Europeans have been during since the 9th century in four days (the whole pilgrimage is aprox. 350 miles). Anyways, I was sick for a week afterwards, then healthy for a week and then I had this half-marathon.

My initial plan was to jog it with the director of the program Armando, so he and I lined up behind the 400 people . Well, as soon as the gun went off it took me about 30 seconds to realize that I was going to race it. I dashed through the crowds of people and it took about 4 miles before I caught up to the gentlemen that I eventually would finish with. I sat in their group made a few moves and kicked at 19k instead of 21k. Ha ha, that hurt so bad. I was so sore for weeks I couldn't even walk down stairs.

Anyways, even though times seem eternal and non-judgemental, I firmly believe that their is a profound story behind every time, every race, and every experience for that matter. So I will leave the ultimate judgement up to my readers and let you debate my talent or lack there of in some of your minds.

2 comments:

by7 said...

Justin,

now it is all clear ...
Different periods of our life bring different challenges and permanent fitness it is not to be take as granted.
With your aerobic base you will see sooner or later a sub-1h10' !! guaranteed

Tom said...

Justin:

Got turned onto your blog by another runner I read. I train with a few post DI guys - all much faster than me though. I did not start running until much later in life.

I've seen the same struggles with them too - trying to get used to running without a team, figure out their own training plan, deal with running around a job, etc. It's tough!

I went through the same thing when my wife and I had kids and I still struglle to balance the running with everything else.

I never ran in college, so I don't know what that experience is like, but I do love the copetitive scene I run get to run with now. The rivalries are great and it's a great way for me to keep sane and keep doing something competitive.

I'll be reading along. Good luck!

Oh, and for this very brief period of time I will have one PR better than you in the HM. Until you run one again, I'm guessing. :)