Sunday, November 11, 2007

Extended Weekend


Atop Wa'ahila Ridge Trail

I have a four day weekend this week. I took of Friday to show my friend around the island. We ended running/hiking up Wa'ahila Ridge in St. Louis Heights. I have done this hike before and I'm not sure of the elevation gain (forgot to check my watch before I shut it off), but it usually takes me 01hr 45min -02hr 00min to get up at a good pace. Matt and myself made it up in 43min and 42 min respectively. It was a great workout. We relaxed at the top and explored a bit until I got stung by a bee and they started to swarm.

Yesterday was more of the same; exploring. This time we ran up a ridge near Pearl City. We found this trail on Wednesday. We explored for a long time, found some great trails that ended with a very over-grown trail. We forged ahead for a little while, but turned around after an hour. All in all it was a 02hr 00min run with 2,500 ft of vertical gain while running.

I just wanted to update everyone on some of my training philosophies and thoughts. I have been doing a long run every other week at this early stage of training. With work and everything else I have noticed that doing this allows me to bounce back much quicker and to get more longer/better quality runs in. Also, I haven't been following Lydiard's training schedule verbatim. The reason is I was not in running shape. I am not a high mileage guy and I break down sometimes and I do not want that to happen. I think next week I will follow the short week schedule more closely and the week after I will get into it more. I am thinking I should do a time trail before I really start. What do you guys think? Do I do 3k or 5k or 10k? Later.

Training:
Friday:
Duration 00hr 42min 45sec
Distance: ?
Comments: Hill climb. Felt good.

Saturday:
Duration: 02hr 00min 00sec
Distance: ?
Comments: 2,500ft of vertical gain. Felt good. Legs tired at the end.

3 comments:

Mike said...

I kind of like the weekly time trial of 2-3 miles at a comfortably-hard pace. If you just take your time at the end and don't worry about the splits, it might give you a good benchmark of how your recovery is going from week to week.

As for the long runs, I was reading about Sell's training and his 10 day cycles between long runs. That sounded like it could be a good way to split the difference between a one or two week cycle for long runs.

Justin said...

Yeah, I was wondering if the time trials are all out or if you try to simulate the "same" perceived effort for each one (that is, whatever "effort" you determine). I think I am going for one next week to use it as a gauge for when I really get into Lydiard's training.

Mike said...

I go with the latter (not all out but the same fairly-hard perceived effort. For the two mile time trials I think of something Eric mentioned once about being able to knock out another mile at that pace if needed.