Friday, November 16, 2007

Slow Going: Good or Bad?

This applies to a few things in my life right now. Sometimes it is better to go slower, but man is it hard sometimes. It doesn't help when everyone else thinks the opposite and so does one half of your mind.

Training Slow(er)

Running slow is the hardest thing to do and so many people in the running world tell us to shorten your runs to get better quality, usually, since many of us have lives besides running. Let me ask you this; how many of you out there have felt awesome on a few consecutive days to follow those days up either with a week of sore legs or an injury? Probably many of you, myself included.

When we feel good we tell ourselves, "I feel good so I can push this run." We push the run and then when we get home we don't think to stretch, hydrate, or eat properly because we are just pumped that we felt good. Why doesn't it cross our minds to hold back a little, save that pushing of one run and carry it over into the next few runs? I guess it is the "need for speed". Corny, but true. If you read the article in the last post you will see that the Africans train hard, but always leave some in the "tank" to use for harder days or, better yet, for races.

How many of you know "Workout Heroes"? Workout Heroes are the athletes that kill you in the workout and the run, but finish about 2 minutes behind you in a 10k. We all have come across those runners and at time we have been that runner. This seems to be how the Americans train. Interval, speed work, and pushing 45min-1 hr runs.

Now, the reason why I am bringing this up is to get everyone thinking about trying to back of the pace a bit and go a bit further. For instance, I think many people would benefit from doing 1hr 30min at 7:30 pace instead of 1 hr at 6:30 pace. As Lydiard says, it's time on the feet.

Personally, I have trained this way the past few years and I notice an incredible difference in aerobic output. This doesn't mean I chill out on every run and don't push the pace, it just means that I back off a little (i.e. 7:15 pace/mile instead of 6:50 pace/mile) and extend my run. You still have to get quality runs in, bu going further will tax the aerobic systems the same if not more than if you go shorter and faster.

I think all runs should be a progression run of some sort. The Kenyans have been known to go many days consecutively with hard running. Some can do a 10 mile run starting at 8:00/mile pace and crank up their speed to be finishing their last 400m in sub 60 pace. They can repeat this daily. The thing is though that the smart ones, which is many of them (until they land a shoe contract, that's another story) will progress through their run until their form goes bad or they feel that they cannot hold that pace for the duration of the run. So they kept the pace that they are running or they back off a little and continue their run. Essentially, they listen to what their bodies are telling them and take the day easier if they have too.

I had an Ethiopian on my college team and the differences between the American system and the African system was presented to me on a daily basis. Everyday, our team would start our run and 3/4 of the team would be half a mile to one mile ahead (and usually me too) only after 10 min -20min of running. Now, this gentleman is a 14:35 5k guy and the rest are about 15:20-17:00min. He always started off slow and eased into his pace. By the end of the run he usually would be miles ahead or he'd be adding an extra 3-4 miles to his run.

Basically the moral of this post is to look at your running, assess whether you are pushing it too hard or not, and make adjustments. The human body is complex, but very efficient. If you are feeling tired all the time, sore, or getting injured/sick often you are doing something wrong!

Adapting to Training

Each week I keep feeling stronger and more efficient. Although my most recent run of 11.5 miles averaged 8:16 pace I feel a whole lot faster than that. I always start my runs slower than when I am finishing and I think Arthur would be proud. I am also going a lot longer than usual at this early into my training schedule. I think the single greatest thing I am doing is varying the type of terrain I run on. In Hawaii the terrain is either straight up and down or dead flat. I am fortunate to have the two extremes. I use this to force my body to continually adapt and never feel completely at comfort. I have been averaging 3-4 hilly runs and 3-4 flat runs.

Like I have said before, my body is adapting to all of the running of last week with Matt. I will finish off this weekend with a shorter long run and then get into more of Lydiard's training next week. I am going to supplement strides (John Kellogg) and plyometrics on the easier days. Also, I am looking to do some type of time trial, most likely a 2 mile time trial at 3/4 effort to get a baseline for training.

Training:
Thursday:
Duration: 01hr 35min 25sec
Distance: 11.5 miles
Comments: Ran with Runners HI on the bike path. Calves felt a lot better during and after.

Friday:
Duration: 00hr 25min 00sec (am)
Distance: 3 miles
Comments: Shake out run. Easy pace. Legs felt good.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Great post. Couldn't agree more about increasing the duration of many runs, especially during early-season conditioning. I've been trying to get past 1h30m more often myself, and while the runs aren't often that quick, I feel stronger as well.

MB said...

Nice read and glad I found your blog.

In the past couple of weeks I am finding that running two 5-milers\day is easier to recover from and they are at a faster pace.

For many weeks\months before that it was a staple 60 min. + run that left me sluggish.

I hear you about the adaptations of longer time on the feet, but am wary of whether it is for everyone.