Friday, November 2, 2007

Looking Up and Confused

*Aiea Loop Trail elevation Profile courtesy of http://www.oahuhiking.com/


Looking Up-
After my post about how I was frustrated with my pace I had an excellent run yesterday. My legs felt a lot better after the 20+ minute morning run. I had time after work so I was able to get in a great run up on the Aiea Loop Trail. It measures 4.5 miles long with 1,000 ft (+,- 20ft) of vertical ascent per loop. It's no joke. The uphills are 15-20 minute grinds and the downhills are fun, fast, and muddy.

So far I have learned a lot from personal trial and error, but I am getting some thoughtful and helpful comments from you readers. I can't thank you all enough. I have learned that 8:00 minute pace is not ungodly slow at this stage of the base period, that my body can handle a lot of running with the proper amount of recovery, and my runs have to start out at a slow pace so I can last longer.

Confused-
There still remains one issue. Time management! It seems to be the biggest issue for all post-college runners. How do we balance running and training with jobs, recovery, spouses, children, bills, relationships and life. Currently I am struggling with the later. At what point does getting in that extra 30 minutes or getting to bed an extra hour early become not a necessity but selfish? The thing is that I think this is different for every individual and the more I think about it, it's all runners who suffer with this. High school athletes must balance sports, academics, and social life. College athletes deal with similar issue, but also with preparing for their future. I'm curious to hear how some of you successfully deal with time management. When I am training well something has to give. Either it's less sleep or less time with Kristine. It's either the proper amount of recovery or the proper amount of time to get things done for work.

I know I have read a few posts from Mike, the author of Champions Everywhere, and how he balances running, family (a wife and two kids), and work. I think he does it well, but I will leave that up to him and only him to ultimately judge. I also have seen it, especially recently, with Coach Pete. Often when I call he is watching his three children as he is talking to me about the team (Marist) or my training. Most of the time he has to get off the phone to tend to the things that are the most important to him; family. Me, I have a tougher time currently with making those distinctions of what is most important to me. Ahh, it's tough sometimes.

On to better things. Kristine and I are off to Maui tomorrow morning. We're both excited to check out Hana and Haleakala (10,000 ft. dormant volcano). I'll try to post, but look for something on Monday

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do most of my running - aside from my weekend long run - over my lunch hours. We have a shower at work, which makes this much easier.

by7 said...

I also struggled a lot to find a balance between training, work and family. The arrival of my daughter was indeed an incredible extra-load.
Now I believe that I found a good balance as follows:
- go to run before work, early in the morning. At least you would have a fixed amount of time every day, regardless of work and family issues. I also would find very difficult to come back home from work and change myself into a running suits when my daughter would like to play with me and my wife needs my attention.
- unless in peak training load, run 6 days a week and leave at least one day (in the weekend) where your family's schedule is not affected by your run. If then you are able to run anyway, consider it as a "bonus"
- make the long run in the week-days (perhaps get up earlier) so that in week-ends you can dedicate yourself fully to the family and not being too tired.
I try to make my Longs on friday, so Saturday I can rest or just make a short run.

A final note about "life after college": getting up very early every day can be quite tiring at the beginnning but you get used to it. Obviously in the evening, do not expect that you will still be able to go out every night with friends, etc ... usually I am in bed by 10.30pm otherwise I would not stand waking up at 5.30am every day.
In general anyway you will adapt soon to a new life "post degree" where the time is never enough and the life schedule is set by a set of committments ...
(explanation: I thought I was busy when I was in College ... But I was far away from realizing what is managing work, wife, children, household, etc, etc ,etc)

Eric said...

As a former teacher and coach, and a dad with two kids, I can say without a doubt that getting up early (i.e. 3-4 am) and getting out the door is the only way I could possibly do the training load necessary to get the best out of myself.

You simply have to use the hours available where you *can* be selfish about how you spend your time without affecting your job, your spouse, etc.