Monday, November 19, 2007

Motivation

(click on title above.)

Motivation

We can get motivated from the most unlikely sources, with the most unlikely mediums. For instance, Aerosmith's "Dream On" gets me going to the point where it gives me goosebumps (or chicken skin as it is called in Hawaii). Or, better yet, reading John L. Parker, Jr.'s Once a Runner (I am reading it for the first time now) or watching Without Limits. But, it is the unlikely sources that we don't even consider that sometimes are the ones that inspire us the most.

I recall a certain one of Kristine's comments prior to the beginning of my training. It was a harmless comment, but it cut through me clean like a hot knife through butter (or margarine, whichever you prefer). One morning we both were downstairs after a run and she observed, "Your calves don't look as defined as they usually do." Now, again, that might seem harmless, but, in my own opinion, long distance runners are defined, well, by the definition of their leg muscles. Just look at this picture above by clicking on the title. Yeah, that is what I thought. Anyways, my calves are shaping back into their old form and I am looking for other ways for motivation. Hopefully these observations remain at bay for now. I'll stick to books and music for now.

Updates

I am feeling my 20 miler a bit lately. I am not sore, but just fatigued. It also doesn't help that I consumed a large quantity of sugar this weekend. Anyways, I started my run out slow and was struggling so I took my own advice about starting off slow and increasing the speed steadily throughout the run. I continued at a comfortable pace for a little while and gradually picked it up. I probably started at 8:30/mile pace and struggling at first, but got it down to sub 7:30/mile and feeling very comfortable by the end of it. I tacked on an extra 20 minutes with my girlfriend, which was a great finish to a presumably worthless run. Is any run worthless? I guess that is another post.

Training:
Sunday:
Duration: ooh 31min 05 sec
Distance: 3.5 - 4 miles
Comments: Felt weak from all of the sugar I ate all day. I did my run in the evening so I could sleep in a bit.

Monday:
Duration: 01hr 18min 53sec
Distance: 9.5 miles
Comments: Read above.

No comments: