Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Picking It Up

After Monday's "shaky" run I was curious to what Teusday would bring. First, I made sure I made one of my Super Shakes (raw cocoa powder, spirulina, maca, dairy-free yogurt, rice milk, organic bananas, hemp protein, goldenseal, coconut oil, and echinachea) Monday night. Well, I woke up to do an easy morning run and I noticed a surprising difference. I felt like super man. I made sure to keep my pace slow since I'd be joining the Runners HI group run later in the evening.

A typical Tuesday or Thursday I run with the Runners HI group that goes around Ford Island. I enjoy this run since there are plenty of people out exercising. I park about 1.5 miles away to add in extra mileage. Usually it takes me 40-45 minutes to make it around the island, but on Tuesday, still feel great from the morning I gradually cranked down the pace and held it. I'd say I was averaging around 6:45 pace. I know that is not fast, but most of my other runs, due to terrain, have been much slower.

Today I got out for a run this morning since I have to stay at work later on Wednesdays. My outside lower calves are bothering me. I think it's that my form wasn't up to par on Tuesdays up-tempo run.

Let It Start

I'm taking the rest of the week easier to get ready for the full on training to start next week. I have been reading a bunch on how the many of the African nations train and, at least to me, seem very similiar to Lydiard's methods. Lots of endurance based running near/just under Lactic Threshold. I think this is what many people get wrong about Lydiard's training. They think that it is suppose to be LSD (long slow distance), but if you read Lydiard's lectures you will see that this was not what he meant. I truly believe that a majority of your runs should be progression runs with a large portion (25-60 min) near your threshold. I think this is what Lydiard meant by "comfortably tired after each run." You don't see the African's killing themselves doing track work (some do when they move to Europe). Check out this Marius Bakken's website. He explains his experience with Kenyan's here. You can also click on the toolbar to the left to read more.

Training:
Tuesday:
Duration: oohr 26min 52 sec (am), 01hr 19min 39sec (pm)
Distance: 3.5 miles (am), 10.5 -11.0 miles
Comments:
Felt great, pushed a little, but had sore calves. Actually, it is in a wierd spot on the bone. Hope it's nothing much.

Wednesday:
Duration: 00hr 41min 08sec
Distance: 5 miles
Comments:
Took it easy with my left calf. Didn't really feel it until the end. Just trying to be careful. Can feel it while walking (maybe it's my sandals).

No comments: