Thursday, November 8, 2007

Run With Someone Day: Feb. 18th, 2007

I mentioned in my last post that my friend and training partner during college, Matt, is in town visiting. His presence on the runs has been felt a great deal. I noticed that I have been keeping a better pace, going further, and getting out there on the tougher days. This renewed revelation of what it is like to have someone to run with has led me to start an unoffical "Run With Someone" Day. This will be on Febuary 18th, 2007 (President's Day). I hope that you readers can do one of two things (hopefully both). I ask you to spread the word any way you can and to actually participate on that day. Also, please fill out the survey on the right.

There are many reasons why I have come up with this idea and this date and here are a few:

1) Running with someone pass the time much better, whether it's debating politics, discussing training, or just having someone by your side can make all the difference in the world on some days.

2) I am originally from the northeast (NY) and Feburary is a very tough time to train especially for us long distance runners who have jobs and a life. March's weather is a bit up and down but everyone knows that spring is just around the corner. However, Feburary, as short as it is, can just plain suck. So what better time than to run with a friend to provide the much needed pick up in your training.

3) Feburary 18th, 2007 is President's Day so I figured that some people will actually have off and we all know that getting in a run on your day off would please many of us.

4) Take this day to push the pace, go further than normal, or go explore a new part of town. That's what running partners are great for; partners in crime!

5) I just think that way too many people train on their own, myself included. I think the survival rate of long distance runners increases when you have a good selection of training partners or group runs in your local area. If there isn't one now start one, even if it is unofficial and informal.

Training

Training has been going well but, sleep has been an issue. This weekend's adventures to Maui are catching up a bit. This is my third week of training and I am noticing that my breathing has been slightly more efficient even with the high humidity. Speaking of training in high humidity areas, I have heard that the affects are similar to training at altitude since the water vapor molecules replace some of the oxygen molecules. Who knows, but I certainly can see that since sometimes I have a tough time breathing even though I am relaxed and running at a comfortable pace. Check back on that topic. I will have to do some serious research.

Training:
Wednesday:
Duration: 01hr 00min 00sec
Distance: 7.5-8 miles
Comments: Ran late last night with Matt. It was very humid, but the pace was honest. Felt good.

Thursday:
Duration: 01hr 04min 15sec
Distance: 7-7.5 miles
Comments: Ran at 4:30am with Matt. Slower pace since both are legs were a little tired. It was super humid again (80%) so that did not help.

No comments: